Sunday, March 10, 2019

Observing Classes and Mini Excursions

February 26th, 2019

Well, I didn't write about the first day I began observing classes so here it is, day 3 and finally finding some time to do this. I think what stood out most about the first day doing this is that the students weren't expecting me until Monday so the looks on their faces as they entered the room to see a stranger was pretty memorable. Luckily, the teacher that I am replacing is immensely helpful and has not only written me notes on how she manages each class, but she has provided additional notes about the students themselves even including who they are related to. I really think I found a good place.

The first day was more about learning games, routines, introducing ourselves to each other, and attending a staff meeting. The staff meetings were just more or less present a game or something that we can teach the children in order to get new ideas for our own classes. One teacher does this every week. It sounds like I may not have to do it until April so this is good news. I think the first day I was more overwhelmed with everything plus I was still fighting some jet lag and a headache.

In this school, our classes are back to back, one hour each usually for 6 hours straight. This means we have one class for an hour and then after the 60 minutes is over, that class shuffles out while the other comes in to start. I think this actually runs much more smoothly than I had originally expected that it would. Although we are asked to be there at least 30 minutes before the start of our first class we will never work more than 6 hours in a day for the classes and no weekends unless we do one field trip. Honestly, it's a tight schedule but it's really not a bad deal. Most days I will be done at 8pm (which can change as needs change) but I've had way worse schedules than that. I already knew roughly what my hours would be before I came here and had already been assured by the other teachers that there were no hours beyond those that would come as a surprise.

After classes, we all went out for a staff dinner which was an enjoyable time. Everyone chose to go to a Chinese restaurant afterwards. Let me just say that this, to me, was not Chinese food but instead was just like most of the Korean menus and food I had seen over the previous days. I hadn't been able to eat much because I hadn't been eating a lot of starches and carbs before coming here. My body has really been taking some time to adjust. I do feel bad because my boss's family thinks I don't eat when in reality I do, I just eat smaller portions of things, especially when there is rice and noodles involved. Anyway, it was not like Chinese food in America, and according to one of our teachers who in Chinese, it is also not like the food in China.

I rode home with my boss and was just so tired that night, I went straight to sleep. I hadn't been invited anywhere with anyone but I'm not one to let that stop me. I don't like to just sit around all of the time and I wanted to get a better feel for the city I would be living in. There is a royal palace and a fortress that was nearby on the map and I figured that I would attempt to walk there - after all, I will be walking everywhere for the length of my stay here. I was getting ready to leave when my host came knocking on the door with the vacuum to ask to me clean my space. So I did and was immediately followed up with the offering of lunch. I did sit down to eat since it was the weekend, but I can only eat so much kimchi and rice before it gets old. I had already decided that I would try to find something out to eat so that I could choose my own food. But, after I was finished, I set out to explore.

Honestly, what I didn't know was that you could see the fortress wall and lookout posts from the apartment that I am staying in. I thought that was pretty cool. Using my Naver maps (similar to Google) I made my way to the bottom of the hill where the trek upwards would begin. I hadn't even gone maybe 50 feet before I realized that this was going to be a little more challenging than I had thought. I didn't know that everything would pretty much be up one of the steepest hills I've ever climbed but I had already made this a goal and wasn't going to turn back. I was often short of breath (partly a result of my asthma) and the other part because I simply have been lazy and I'm out of shape. But getting to the top that overlooked the city of Suwon (which was waaaay bigger than I had believed it to be), the effort was well worth it. What I didn't know was that the palace lay at the base of this steep, ginormous hill on the other side so I was in a hurry to get down so I could go in before it closed at 5.

It was interesting to see how many people were walking up and down this hill in dress shoes as if this is some easy casual stroll in the park. The only reason to go to the top is literally to hike or to see what's up there. It's not as if there are shops and stuff to look at. I walked around the palace for about an hour and a half. These things are always so cool and I can't wait to see it in the spring time. They are all pretty similar but still very beautiful to see. Also very glad I brought 2 inhalers with me. I didn't need it yet but I can tell there will be a point in which I will.

After the palace I sat in a park for a little enjoying what would be one of the better days of good air we would have for a spell. Then I trekked over to the fortress wall where there is a large gate. You can see images of this on many signs in the city so I felt I needed to see it in person. It's a seemingly short wall (taller than me to look over) but revealing a drop off on the other side to the rest of the city. As I walked along the pathway alongside this massive structure, I felt absolutely at peace. It wasn't too chilly out but I also did have a large winter coat hugging me. And yet, still tons of locals walking in their Sunday best and dress shoes - absolutely bizarre to me.

This is probably one of the first times that a stranger approached me also. Three girls also out exploring asked me to take their photo - visibly foreigners which is why I assume they approached me, assuming I spoke English. They were Russian but spoke English fairly decently. We chatted for a couple minutes before I began my walk home, hopefully in just enough time to have missed a plentiful serving of Korean dinner. I can be a picky eater, I know, but this is just simply needing a variation to my taste buds.

On Sunday, I was going to go the movie theater to see what was playing in English, just for the experience. But as I was getting ready, the co-worker who I was replacing told me she was running to Seoul to run some last minute errands before she left for the states and asked if I'd like to join. As of yet, I hadn't had to take any public transportation since when I visited in 2017 and I knew I still needed to purchase a T-money card (with cash) before I could hop on any form of public transit. I managed to get to the subway station (by walking because I didn't have my card to catch a bus) and then was able to purchase a one way pass to the next station where I would hopelessly search for my coworker. After a few phone calls and 20 minutes behind schedule, I managed to find her and we were on our way to the big city via train.

Her errands were really to cash her last check and exchange the money to US dollars before she closed her bank account later in the week. It felt a little exciting being back in Seoul again although I don't recall if I had been to that stop before. Low and behold, Namdaemun Market street was about a 10 minute walk uphill where we were sure to try this amazing honey pancake-like bread for roughly $1 (hottoeke). It was just a quick visit into the city but I was able to find a place to purchase my transit card, load it, and use it for the trip back home. So overall it was pretty successful. Best part is that I could re-familiarize myself with the subways/trains. Hadn't even attempted the buses but instead walked 25 minutes to the train station. LOL.

Monday and Tuesday were not really eventful ~ just more shadowing in classes and hoping I could do it. I learned a lot of games that the kids play in classes in order to have fun and earn points that they can later use at the school gift store (like a Dave and Busters). I was walking to and from school on my own like a big girl LOL. Monday morning I even had to go back into the hospital in order to grab the sealed results of all my medical tests. But I managed it on my own with my lack of Korean and even grabbed a coffee and treat to eat on my walk to work.

There is a Daiso (similar to a Dollar General but everything is all cutesy) right by work. I think this is very bad placement because I probably stop in there every other day for stuff or just to look. Once I get into my place, I think this store will be the reason I can't afford to eat. This is the last week my co-worker is here. Friday is a holiday and I have been invited to come to the send off activities. Then, Saturday I get to move in. Definitely looking forward to my own space again.

Anyway, signing off for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment