Thursday, February 21, 2019

Greetings!

Today was an interesting experience. It was the day to get some of the necessary things taken care of before I actually start the job. So for those of you who may not know, I chose to bring 2 phones with me to Korea. This is probably a little different than what the typical foreigner does, but I kept my phone with T-Mobile active on my iPhone 6S and I am using a Samsung Note 9 for my Korean number. I don't suggest it for anyone that is doing this for long term but I have very specific reasons for this crazy methodology, of which I will not get into.

Anyway, my director took me to a store operated by one of her school friends so that I could get a Korean number and data plan for my Samsung. Anyone who is planning on staying here for any length of time, I highly recommend this - especially the Note 9. The phone being designed and manufactured here really just works best with all of the available services like Kakao (messaging and maps/services), you can use Samsung Pay instead of get the transit card (also known as a T-money card which requires you to provide cash at a convenience store to refill), the pen/stylus/remote comes in very handy as you can translate Korean to English better than Google translate - it's just native here and everything is very user friendly in this land LOL. For about 57,000 Korean won (KW or just under $57 USD) I got set up with my new phone number, a new screen protector, and about 5 GB of data for a temporary plan until I can acquire my Alien Residency Card (ARC) which is needed in order to do most business here.

The fun part is that in order to obtain your ARC along with your national health coverage, you have to have a medical exam completed at a government hospital (this part is VERY important). In the US, such a checkup could easily cost 100s of dollars but one thing I can say already by day 2 is that their healthcare is much more efficient and cost friendly than anything I have ever been privy to. Let me elaborate on this unique experience before I state the cost (yes, these are costs that are paid by the teacher-to-be, so racking up more costs for this new job - thankfully in my research I already knew about).

After we drove through the tight streets that, even though they were 2-way but often felt 1-way because of street parking, our second stop was the hospital. I am pretty sure that I would never want to drive here mostly because of the very tight spaces. Imagine New York city driving and parking, and then reduce that by half. Watching people park in these tiny spots is just as amazing as watching the trapeze artists do tricks at a carnival. I am thankful that my director took me to these places since she is fluent in both English and Korean so that these tasks could be done since I have heard and read so many stories where incoming teachers had to do these tasks on their own without speaking any Korean. Check-in literally was only as long as it took me to fill out my information onto a form and pay for the services in advance - and that was with maybe 5 other patients in the waiting area.

We went down a hallway where I was told that I would be getting an x-ray done (more or less a breast exam) and that I would have to put a tied top on in place of my clothing. I think the most awkward part about this was that once I changed and I had my lady bits flying free, I had to walk into the hallway where all of the other patients were casually strolling. This led to the x-ray room. The Doctor spoke quite a bit of English which definitely helped ease some of my anxieties thinking I was going to have a breast exam like in the US. Well ladies, this was not the case. They had me press up against a machine (not like a mammogram at all). I had to put my chin in a curved slot, breasts firmly pressed, and shoulders also pressed against this plate while I was standing there... which became even more uncomfortable when they raised the machine my chin was resting in so now I was trying to balance in this awkward position nearly on my toes. Luckily, I was able to leave the medical wardrobe on the whole time.

After the x-ray was complete, I was allowed to go back and change into my normal clothes. However, then it was time for more tests. So the interesting thing is that the hospital workers apparently go to lunch at 12:30p so we were speed walking up to the 2nd level for the remaining tests before they closed down for lunch (this is a concept I still cannot grasp LOL). We made it to the next room where it was time to retrieve bodily fluids. They handed me a fairly simple Dixie looking cup with a hand-drawn line on it where I needed to fill with urine - no lid - no plastic - not the form of security and sanitation that we are used to in the US, but I did my business and got back for the ever dreaded blood draw. I absolutely hate needles and having blood drawn is the worst. My heart started to race a little, I began to get hot and a little lightheaded so I turned my attention to a sad attempt to read the Korean papers to my right. I did well; I did not pass out or vomit so I think it was successful and I was pushed onto the last room for final tests.

In this room, they checked my weight and height. First of all, this fairly normal looking scale talks to you, not that I know what it said, but it sounds so sweet. The nurse never left her desk that was probably a good 5 feet away from me. Then, as if possessed by some unseen force, the scale to measure my height came down onto my head. I'm still not so sure why this "automated" scale was so impressive to me but I just know I think we need these all over the US - haha. She had me do an eye exam, of which they were extremely impressed with my vision. My director says that she has never had one of her teachers read as far down the scale as I did. Yay me. Oddly, they also checked me for color blindness. I have done these on my own but never once have I had a doctor/nurse check for it. Lastly, it was time for blood pressure. The machine clamped down so hard on my arm that I was sure all the blood in my arm would burst out from my hand. Doctors need to stop taking blood pressure AFTER taking blood. That already makes my heart rate increase. So, then I had to take a moment to meditate so that she could make an attempt manually to ensure that my heart rate wasn't at a crazy risk for a heart attack.

A couple of questions later and all was complete. I think from the time we walked in the front door until the time we left, the whole experience was about 45 minutes max. The most remarkable part about this was that all of the services listed above were paid for out of packet without insurance and the whole thing came to a total of 79,000 KW (or less than $79 USD). I couldn't even sneeze into a tissue at a doctor's office in the US for that cost with no insurance. So, now I wait until after 3pm tomorrow for all of my results. Seriously, just over 24 hours for results to all of that. Makes you think how much our doctors really do a number on our pockets and patience. Once I receive hopefully passing results, I can put in for my ARC so I can become a legal temporary citizen.

From there, we went to the school or hagwon (private tutoring school) so that I could meet some of the fellow teachers and become familiar with the area where the school is located. Starting tomorrow I have to walk to work so that I can observe classes for 5 days in order to be able to take over the classes from the teacher that is leaving. Seemingly sweet ladies who were ready to fill me with lots of information and ask many questions. The best part is that you can tell that they enjoy their job and are happy with the boss as much as one will be. Very refreshing since I have read so many horror stories and shady practices from other schools to the teachers coming to Korea. From there, it was time to just explore the neighborhood around the school and eventually make my way back to the apartment, SOLO. I am so grateful that I am blessed with impeccable directional skills. I could look at the tall apartment buildings around the area and was able to find the hospital and apartment building from the outside deck. Definitely one of my more desirable skills.

I took a stroll around where I found a little dessert shop where I had some ice cream and shaved ice milk (bing su) with chocolate powder and strawberries. Amazing! Not sweet like desserts in the US, and yes - although it is still cold outside, I was happy to have the cold treat for keeping myself collected and making it this far. While sitting on the second floor cafe, I could see a Daiso store where I was dying to hit up next. If you haven't been so blessed to know what a Daiso is, I'm sorry that your are lacking so much happiness in your life. It is basically like a dollar store although some things are more than the "dollar" amount but their items are all so absolutely adorable and you can find such a wide range of items there. For instance, I found a computer cable (not the right one for mine apparently), an extension cord, earphones, stationary, and a pen for about $12 USD. I am pretty sure that store will be the death of me as I have already seen so many items that I would like to purchase as gifts for my family and friends.

After maintaining some amazing self control and not handing over my whole bank account, I decided to start the walk back home. It's probably only a 15 minute walk and today was a pretty nice day overall. I am one of the only blond people that I have seen in this area - minus the one teacher that goes back home next week - so imagine that I stand out like a sore thumb. I've noticed that the children stare more at me than the adults but you can see the side glimpses from people as you pass by probably wondering if I'm lost or even just some crazed k-pop fan looking for a cute Korean guy. Luckily, judgement like that doesn't really bother me but instead I tend to laugh about it. I can only imagine how strange it is to them. In my very American way, I just flash a friendly smile their way knowing I will likely not receive any response because that is the culture that we grew up in but it is strange to them. Only once has a stranger even responded and they were younger girls goofing around in the store. They noticed that I was giggling about them having a good time and reciprocated. Oddly, it's those small and rare moments that I feel that I have made a little difference and my heart is lifted a little more.

Now I'm home, computer charging, two phones receiving and sending texts (oh boy), and still fighting off some jet lag. Earlier I received an emergency alert on both phones while I was typing this. Again, so glad I have that Samsung phone because the emergency message was ALL in Korean. It was only a notification about there being fine dust in the air tomorrow and recommended to wear masks. Not hungry, already a little tired, but the adorable little halmoni from my earlier post climbed up the steep staircase to ask me if I was hungry. I found out that she had broke a bone in her back recently and feel horrible that she even came upstairs. I attempted to tell her I wasn't hungry but a few attempts later she still brought me up a bowl of spicy ramyeon (ramen). One can't help but eat just because she tries so hard to make her guests comfortable. It's nice to have this type of attentiveness and concern when in an unfamiliar new place - even with the language barrier.

This is a long post and I apologize but I wanted to record these events for those that may be thinking about coming to Korea to work as well as let everyone know the experiences I have had here. I am sure my posts will become shorter and fewer as time begins to pass and things begin to feel somewhat normal.

I'm going to finish my ramyeon, put on my PJs, and settle into a warm heated bed early tonight since tomorrow I have my first class sit-in and I get to meet some of my students. Wish me luck and I hope that all is well on the other side of the globe. Hugs!!

Jewels
2-21-2019

No comments:

Post a Comment